Breakthrough Lightweighting Technologies
|VIDEO: Lightweighting Overview||Animated Infographic: VORAFORCE™|
|Animated Infographic: BETAMATE™||Try the CO2 Reduction Calculator|
Lightweighting is here to stay and Dow Automotive Systems delivers experienced experts and a proven portfolio to meet your specifications. For example, more than 7 billion meters of BETAMATE™ structural adhesives have been applied by automotive manufacturers since its introduction in 1999.
This is what happens when a mid-size vehicle with 50 meters of BETAMATE is operated for one year:
- 10 kg primary mass reduction
- 17 kg total weight savings with mass decompounding
- .62 percent improvement in fuel efficiency
- 32.6 kg carbon dioxide reduction
No other supplier can match the lightweighting capabilities of our portfolio. Contact us and we’ll be glad to deliver a lightweighting solution that gives you a competitive advantage.
- Join us at upcoming events
- Infographic: BETAMATE™ Sustainability (2 MB PDF)
- BETAMATE white paper
- Infographic: Adhesives in Manufacturing (796 KB PDF)
BETAFOAM™ structural and acoustical foam
- BETAFOAM™ structural foams deliver improved crashworthiness and better acoustic performance and cavity sealing. In some cases, the use of BETAFOAM structural foam has enabled more than 36 pounds of net mass reduction per vehicle while maintaining safety performance.
BETAFORCE™ composite adhesives
- BETAFORCE™ composite adhesives are an ideal choice for joining composites and other dissimilar materials in a variety of lightweight design areas. BETAFORCE can be used to bond coated metals like steel to aluminum, carbon fiber panels to steel or aluminum, sheet molding compound (SMC) to aluminum and more.
BETAMATE™ structural adhesives
- BETAMATE™ LWR epoxy adhesive delivers proven crash-durable bonding technology Designed for body-in-white structures, chassis and closures , this lightweight reinforcement provides improved crash performance and stiffness by adding structural continuity between sheet metal components separated by gaps of up to 15 mm.
- BETAMATE™ 2-part polyurethane structural adhesives offer flexibility and simultaneous stability to bond dissimilar materials, enabling the use of lightweight materials to reduce vehicle weight and enhance energy efficiency. BETAMATE 2K adhesives can also simplify assembly processes and minimize production costs.
- BETAMATE™ structural adhesives replace body welding with bonding and bond dissimilar metal or composite materials in lightweight designs.
VORAFORCE™ epoxy resin system
- VORAFORCE™ epoxy systems offer extremely low viscosity with industry-leading, ultra-fast-cure molding cycles. Results have been excellent using high-pressure resin transfer and wet compression molding, involving impregnation of carbon fiber pre-forms.
- Bringing mass reduction capabilities to mass production facilities, Dow Automotive has demonstrated less than 60 seconds molding-cycle time with VORAFORCE 5300 resin formulations. Complete with an internal mold release package, this product supports lightweighting initiatives, increases manufacturing efficiencies, enables parts integration and can be used with carbon fiber or glass fiber reinforcements. VORAFORCE 5300 is classified as not toxic according to REACH 2015 and is formulated to prevent undesirable corrosion of processing equipment. VORAFORCE 5300 showed outstanding VDA-278 test results for volatile and semi-volatile emissions, making it ideal for structural applications adjacent to vehicle cabins.
Can we help you achieve 95% part integration and 50% weight reduction? More
Complete our VORAFORCE™ 5300 form to obtain new data for RTM and wet compression-molded parts.
Supplying aluminum bonding adhesives for the 2015 Ford
We partner with customers to deliver targeted performance attributes for aluminum bonding needs.
Contact us to talk about how we can help you achieve your design, manufacturing and sustainability goals.
View webcast: Adhesive Bonding for Aluminum Lightweight Structures
Read more about it: PACE award for aluminum bonding product and collaboration